Mattresses are generally costly, and the thought of having them ruined over simple stains that can be managed or spending a fortune on the same is equally frustrating.
Stains, be it from urine, menstruation, coffee and tea spills, make mattresses unsightly, uncomfortable and can easily be discarded or replaced which turns out to be an extra dive in the pocket.
It is advisable to take action as soon as the stain has occurred on the mattress for easier and more effective cleaning. This is because a dried up stain are harder to clean.
The different stains incurred should be cleaned using appropriate methods and procedures for the perfect results.
Below are some of the appropriate step by step procedures to take when cleaning different stains.
How to clean urine stain
If the urine has not yet dried up, ensure as much of the excess liquid as possible is absorbed without scrubbing the mattress because it leads to the extension of the stain.
This is achievable by the use of a sponge or an absorbent piece of cloth. If the urine has dried up you can skip this step.
Afterwards, spray the stain with vinegar and then leave it for about half an hour before cleaning the stain by placing a wet piece of an absorbent cloth over it.
A soft toothbrush can be used if the stain proves to be hard and tough.
You can get rid of the bad odor by sprinkling the cleaned patch with baking soda and leave it overnight.
Use a vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda the following day then allow it to dry in a well ventilated area. Alternatively, you can blow the mattress at a low temperature.
How to clean blood stain
If the stain is fresh, you should start by soaking up the excess liquid using an absorbent cloth followed by dropping a few drops of ginger juice on the stained area.
Ginger is used because of its ability to decompose protein and to act as a bleaching agent. Using cold water, press a wet cloth to wipe the stain and avoid scrubbing as this will worsen the stain.
If the blood is dry, use carrot juice mixed with a little salt before wiping out the rest of the stain with cold water and a cloth.
How to clean coffee or tea stain
The stain should be wiped gently using a dry cloth that has been dipped into medical alcohol. Most colored drinks are soluble when they are put in contact with alcohol.
The use of a cloth is preferable over direct pouring of alcohol on the stain as it will diffuse the stain.
The stain should be wiped and dried in a well ventilated area.
How to clean a sweat stain
Cleaning a sweat stain requires the preparation of a mixture containing one drop of dishwashing liquid, three tablespoon of baking soda and eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide.
Put the mixture of all these in a sprayer bottle and spray it directly on the stain. The mattress should then be left for it to dry completely.
Tips to consider for the maintenance and care of the mattress
The cleaning process should be followed carefully. If you make a mistake, you might end up making the stain worse.
- Use the blotting method to absorb excess liquids rather than scrubbing to prevent spreading of the stain.
- The mattress should be allowed to dry completely before the changes of sheets are put in place
- When drying, a fan can be used to air dry. Similarly, well ventilated spaces work just fine unless there is the need for urgency where the mattresses can be blown at low temperatures.
Mattresses are an expensive investment which means that you should always get the value for your money.
It is a good idea to get a mattress that is easy to care and maintain like the Acesleep memory foam mattress. With bamboo charcoal infused, Acesleep is able to regulate moisture and also has anti-bacterial properties to control dust mites and provide a healthier sleeping surface. A clean and reliable mattress is the perfect recipe for a good night’s sleep.
To help you make the best use of your mattress and enjoy longer use, here are a couple of maintenance tips that you should use regularly.
- Use a removable and washable mattress cover. It protects the mattress and it is easier to clean and maintain prolonging the life of the mattress and saving you a lot of time and effort.
- Make sure stains are cleaned in the shortest time possible. The longer they sit on the mattress, the harder they are to remove.
- To avoid urine stains, invest in waterproof protectors for your mattress. This is especially advised to people with small children who wet the bed
- For innerspring mattresses, the use of desiccants like active charcoal bags help to make sure that there is no humidity that would cause erosion to the springs.
- The use of a vacuum cleaner or dust mite controller to clean the mattress on a monthly basis helps keep the mattress in the best possible condition for longer user.
- Limit having drinks and food on the bed to reduce chances of having stains on the bed.
- Regular and frequent changing of sheets is essential to avoid mites and keep the bed clean.
In conclusion, get a mattress like the Acesleep memory foam mattress will make maintenance and care easier. When it comes to the occurrence of stains, appropriate measures should be taken.
Not all stains can be handled with the same procedures and methods. Using inappropriate methods to clean a stain will only result in worsening the situation.
To improve the lifespan of your mattress, it is important to practice regular maintenance on the mattress and use the right procedures when cleaning stains.